A growing railroad camp was established known as Vining’s Camp, named after the young civil engineer William H. Vining who worked on design and construction of the rail line. By the late 1840’s, with a train stop and telegraph station, the area was named Vinings Station.
In 1864, the area was captured and occupied by Union forces en-route to Atlanta. By the late 1800’s, the then Vinings community had rebuilt and reestablished itself with a railroad stop and small community. By 1904, a small one-lane bridge was built to replace the original Paces Ferry, and was used to connect Atlanta’s Buckhead community with Cobb County. In that same year, the unincorporated community was officially recognized as VININGS.
The main focus for the future of historic Vinings is on preserving and maintaining the character of the neighborhoods and business district with development that is sensitive to the area’s uniqueness without detracting from its charm and ambiance.
Today, historic Vinings is predominantly a residential area that has small neighborhood-scaled commercial areas. The business district utilizes architectural treatments and textures that blend in with the local and National Register historic buildings.
The area was ideal for this type of settlement due to its proximity to the Chattahoochee River and near a proposed railroad line. In 1842, The Western & Atlantic Railroad was completed between Atlanta and Marietta, Georgia.
The history of the Vinings community is an important part of its identity and greatly impacts the current community environment.
After the Cherokee Land Lottery, from 1832 to 1836, a pioneer named Hardy Pace accumulated multiple land lots and by 1838 had established a settlement that included a grist mill, inn, ferry, post office, and farming interest that was known as Paces Crossroads----the origin of the Vinings community.
4355 Cobb Parkway • Suite J-480 • Atlanta, Georgia 30339